“ROBERT STRAWBRIDGE was b. at Drummer’s Nave, near Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. of Leitrim, Ire. He came to the United States some time between 1760 and 1765, settling on Sam’s Creek, Frederick co., Md. He was a Methodist local preacher, having preached in Ireland, although it is uncertain whether he had ever been regularly licensed. He was an earnest Christian, and finding no religious services in the section where he settled, he commenced preaching in his own house, and subsequently a small log chapel was erected about a mile from his dwelling. This building, however, though sometimes spoken of as the first Methodist church in Maryland, was never deeded to the church and was never finished.
“He preached in several places in Maryland, especially in Harford and Frederick counties. In 1769 he was joined in his labors by others, and under their joint efforts several societies were organized. Richard Owings, the first native American preacher, was converted under his ministry.
“When the Revolutionary war broke out most of the ministers who had come over from England retired, and the societies were left without care or pastoral supervision. He took charge of the society at Sam’s Creek and of Bush Forest in Harford co., and continued to be their preacher for about five years.
“It was in 1773 that his name first appears on the Conference minutes as one of the preachers assisting Mr. (afterwards Bishop) Asbury, on the Baltimore circuit. In 1776 he rem. his family to a farm not far from Baltimore, the use of which was presented to him during his life by Captain Ridgely, its owner. He d. in the summer of 1781, and was buried on the farm of Mr. Wheeler, near Baltimore. There is no specimen of his handwriting now extant. In the deed of property to his son, and in the letters of administration, the name is written ‘Strobridge,’ although it appears as ‘Strawbridge’ in the Conference minutes.”–(Condensed from “McClintock & Strong’s Cyclopedia,” and “The Cyclopedia of Methodism,” by Bishop Simpson.